Who we are
The Texas Lacrosse Officials Association (TXLOA) is the US Lacrosse-approved training and certifying organization for the sport of men’s and boys’ lacrosse in the Greater Houston area. TXLOA spans several age/playing groups – boy’s youth (K-8), men’s high school (Varsity & JV), and men’s post-collegiate club.
- Recruit, train, and certify officials for the sport of lacrosse.
- Provide mentoring to officials and help them develop their craft skills and knowledge of the rules of the game.
- Help officials to conduct themselves as positive role models to coaches, players, parents, and fans with an emphasis on safety, sportsmanship, fairness, and professionalism.
How to become a lacrosse official
If you are interested in becoming an official for the sport of lacrosse, please contact our head of recruiting, Mike Alsobrooks, at firstname.lastname@example.org
no later than August 31st of each year. The pre-season training usually occurs in September, and observations will occur at the pre-season tournaments held in November-January. The regular season starts in February and runs through the end of April each year, which is then followed by playoffs in May. An overview of a typical official’s development career path is shown on the US Lacrosse website
- Get your US Lacrosse (usually “Adult”) membership (mandatory) by registering online at www.uslacrosse.org and click on “Membership” and then click on “Join/Renew.”
- Forward the confirmation email you receive after registering with US Lacrosse to the TXLOA Secretary at email@example.com.
- Go to the www.txloa.net website and click the Apply to Join tab on the left pane to submit a short application form. This will get you on the contact list for pre-season training and announcements.
- Purchase your lacrosse referee gear. We suggest you go to one of the vendors listed on the Links tab to purchase your officiating gear. Make sure you purchase gear for lacrosse - and not football- officials.
- Attend and pass the one-day lacrosse training event, held at a date to be determined. See the Training and Dues tab for more information.
- Take the online “Lacrosse Official’s” test (which will be sent to you by our training department) and receive a passing score.
- Attend pre-season tournaments to shadow experienced officials during lacrosse games. Master the basic mechanics of officiating lacrosse.
- Receive notification from LeadClinician@txloa.net that you have been certified to officiate and at what level(s).
- At the direction of the Lead Clinician, register in Arbiter (www.arbitersports.com/) to join, be assigned games, and accept them.